Ashley Wilson
Posted July 31, 2020

When to stop waiting for unemployment

Wondering if you should stop waiting for your unemployment money to come in? Check out your options and the best steps to take next!
Ashley Wilson
When to stop waiting for unemployment

If you lost your job due to COVID and have been dealing with the unemployment process it can be incredibly draining. You continue to wait and hope without any answers of when or if that unemployment money will come. You might be asking yourself, should I step away from the unemployment process? Here are some things that you need to know about finding a job today.

You are unable to pay bills

If you are stressed financially and waiting to pay for critical things such as a house payment, rent, etc. and are finding yourself falling behind it is important to not place all of your hope on the arrival of unemployment benefits. Even those who are eligible unfortunately suffer long wait times for their money to arrive. While the funds may come, you may be doing more harm than good waiting for them without any source of income.

Don't be nervous to look for work

The unemployment process was never ideal in the best of times and now today during COVID with so many out of work the process is more difficult and frustrating than ever before. Sitting and waiting without answers is sending many individuals into debt or into worse case scenarios such as losing their homes. Take an hour each day to search for jobs. Update your resume and get back out there! Here are some wonderful resume tips to help make yours stand out!

You can still collect

Many individuals have stopped searching for work and are continuing to wait for unemployment to come in. However, you can look for work, land a job, and then still collect what was originally owed to you. You will not miss out, so make sure to continue to file for unemployment for the weeks you were without work and also apply for jobs. Again, no one can say for sure how long the funds will take to arrive so it’s best to be prepared with a backup means of income. This will also help prevent any large debts from worsening over time. If you have unemployment concerns make sure to pay a visit to the unemployment resource center here on Jobcase!

Waiting creates larger gaps

The longer you go without work the larger the gaps will grow on your #resume and the harder it will be to land a job. Remember that you are always more desirable to employers when you have a job versus when you are without one for a long period of time. Consider taking a part-time job, for now, to help you financially as well as on paper while you secure something more long term. Check out these gig opportunities to get started working right away.

How is YOUR job search going?

Ashley Wilson

Comments

Victoria Schumacher

I try daily and take weekends off to give me a break. I have a degree and experience but my industry is shot since I'm a meeting and event planner. Transferable skills so I'm open to opportunities for sure. This.sucks.

Karen Kratenstein

Hi Victoria, I feel your pain. I also have a degree and was on furlough but now just got laid off. My industry is hurting big time. I also work very hard at it and even on weekends although I try and take one day off.. This sucks big time.... 6 years for a company down the drain thru no fault of my own. Keep plugging away... Try and stay positive. I lost so much sleep over this. Karen

Marvise Brinson

I got furloughed in June and I've been looking for a job ever since. Luckily the unemployment process has gone smoothly for me. However with the cut in benefits I'm now finding it hard to take care of my bills. The company I worked for was into travel related benefits however I don't see the industry's making a solid come back as of late. Everyone is frustrated things do seem out of sorts but through prayer and focus we will all be fine. Covid has pretty much destroyed life as we know it and we will have to adjust to the new normal .

Terry Barton

I called the Unemployment fraud line.After 2 hrs on hold,I got a live person to fix my claim along with a angry lecture about calling the fraud line.I acted stupid that I didn’t know that I was calling the fraud department and apologized like crazy and thanked the person for fixing my claims.As far as the job hunt,I’ve been at it all day long every day.I got a interview at Albertsons on Sunday.Several upcoming interviews next week.I have received several rejection emails which is very demoralizing.I have been fighting the urge to commit suicide which often consumes my thoughts

Hakima Griffin

I got laid off in May and got approved for unemployment, yet in still waiting. Never even got pandemic pay. Calling unemployment is a joke in jersey. I have my resume together and have recently been looking. However I'm faces with another issue. Schools. Just got word today that there will be more remote learning. I have no support system. How do I physically go to a job. I would love to work from home, but all I see is BS data entry jobs that are primarily bogus. So now what?

Michael Mccachren jr

I waited 7 weeks and then found. Do to an injury that cost me MY job and now I'm back to work but my bills are still behind and. And i lost my home and still no money that i worked and paid into for. At the day i am owed 5400 dollars. Now i worked for that money and if you can not use it when you need it whats the point of it. I hope someone can do something soon before more people end up like me

Cynthia Brown

Ok BMW is hiring every who said the have a degree that not really helping anyone right now is it I have from CLEMSON in buisness so kiss my you now where

Dinesh Sharma

I'm wooden working

Dinesh Sharma

Please job

judy dages

The workforce one website freezes