Posted December 29, 2020

What to expect from unemployment in 2021

Through the pandemic relief bill, more unemployment money is being distributed to individuals, but how much is coming and for how long? Here is the breakdown of the unemployment benefits coming soon.
What to expect from unemployment in 2021

A new pandemic relief package has been signed into law. For the millions across the nation now waiting for vital pandemic #unemployment programs to restart, an end to political negotiations means a renewal of the benefits they need.

But what did congress finally agree to for unemployment benefits and how will this affect you if you’re waiting for unemployment assistance? Also, after unemployment, what comes next?

Here is what you can expect from pandemic the unemployment programs that have been signed into law.

Renewed unemployment programs in the Dec 2020 relief bill

Depending on which of the pandemic unemployment programs you qualify for (if approved) you can expect to receive $300 per week from this relief package - helping you get more from unemployment.

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)

If you are unemployed and have exhausted your state’s claim period limit for unemployment insurance you should begin to receive an additional $300 per week through the PEUC program. If you are approved to receive state unemployment benefits, this $300 will be added on to the amount you’re receiving from your state’s unemployment office. The amount of time you can claim PEUC for has also been extended from 39 weeks to 50 weeks.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)

If you were employed in a field not typically covered by unemployment insurance, such as self-employment, contract, or gig work, you can expect your PUA benefits to resume at up to $300 per week, depending on your previous income. The amount of time you can claim PUA has also been extended from 39 weeks to 50 weeks.

Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC)

The previously lapsed program FPUC has also been renewed. Under renewed eligibility requirements, if you receive at least one dollar in unemployment benefits from a number of unemployment insurance programs (including PEUC and PUA) you will also receive a flat payment of $300 in addition to your current unemployment amount. This additional benefit should be automatically applied to your unemployment payment and you will not need to apply for this program as long as you qualify for an eligible unemployment program.

How long will this unemployment extension last?

The new pandemic relief package provides funds for PEUC, PUA and FPUC between December 27th, 2020 and March 14th, 2021. Individuals will be limited to 10 weeks of eligibility for their PEUC and PUA benefits. If an unemployment claimant hasn’t exhausted their 10 weeks of eligibility by March 14th, 2021, they will be able to continue claiming benefits until a final cutoff date of April 5th, 2021. It's important to have a plan when you will stop waiting for unemployment.

When will unemployment payments resume?

The timing of unemployment benefit dispersal is reliant on a number of variables that are unique to each state and individual. However, lawmakers estimate that the average unemployment claimant will have to wait until early- to mid-January to receive the renewed unemployment benefit.

Will I get unemployment benefits for the week of 12/27/2020?

PEUC and PUA claimants have experienced a lapse in benefits for the week of 12/27 due to a delay in signing the new stimulus bill. Unlike previous PUA lapses, there is no indication at this time that the missed week of benefits will be paid out retroactively for this period.

What do you think of the renewed unemployment programs?

Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Comments

Laurie Arnold

My UI expired Dec 12. I went to submit payment yesterday and a pop up said I’ve expired all my weeks. There are still funds in my account. Opening a new claim didn’t seem to apply to me. Anyone else have this issue?

Sheila Adams

I do believe that if you read the wording of bill that was passed regarding pua and unemployment that we are given 11 weeks of extended benefits. So it should not matter when the states get it started back up we still are entitled to the 11 weeks.

Raquel Burow

Do have to file. New claim

Rebecca Ellers

Some Louisiana claimants have received the FPUC payments on 1/5.

Frank Martorano

Too bad New Jersey won't be able to get us checks for 3 weeks. We should pass a law that if aid to citizens in not being received the governor, state legislators, and the responsible government agencies should not be paid.

Paula Cox

I. Was on Seb they said I have exhausted it on 12-12-20 I don't have a Job yet.i have a 78 yr old Dad that I have solely responsible for before covid I someone staying with him but I can't now he has copd,emphysema, CHF, blind and hearing impaired afraid to to bring someone in because of. Covid can I still draw 300 on covid cares act cca

Marc Bandy

he'll I jumped down there backs I been filling since March 2020 send me a key card with 64cents an here it is feb damn near a year and still not one check.. Beckley unemployment office a joke don't answer the phone but ride by they outside smoking...

Ann brazzle

Hi my name is Ann and I would like to know if I forgot my email address I used to get into my pua account what do I do to get it back so I can start certification on my unemployment funds again please help

Sherina Hadley

Hello, it’s March 13th and I have about 1 week left of my unemployment to receive. To get this exstension do I need to open a new claim by midnight tonight?? Or can I even reopen a new claim if I still have 1 week left or f money. I’m afraid if I don’t refile my claim by today that this exstension will expire and I will be too late... does anyone know???

Araceli Tan

Unemployment is man made. When people failed to understand that a job is a basic human need then you know what it entails. The safety issues of job hunting when it is prolonged has the following potential complications 1.) people can get exposed to the hazards of rape attempt while looking for a job. If it happens to me, it can happen to anyone else. 2.) people can become a kidnapped victim on the guise of offering them a free ride in their desperate moment for a potential job opportunity. 3.) if jobless people cannot get financial support in a timely manner some may be tempted to commit a crime to relieve the hardship thus it can potential increase the crime rate 4.) it can be the worst scenario for people who do not want to owe money or favors which can drain the savings for planned scholastic tuition fees for one like me who may want to proceed to become a doctor of medicine if my money can afford to pay for the hardship. It can drain the 401 K for the hardship if there is no relief. 5. For the object of jealousy, bullies, discrimination You know job is hard to find specially in the higher income bracket for the highly experienced because employers are saving money hiring cheaper salaries employees with little to no experience fresh graduates from school over someone like me with 22 years professional experience.