Posted January 26, 2021

What is standing between you and your $1,400 stimulus payment?

Many Americans are looking for a stimulus payment now. Here’s what needs to happen before the IRS can issue the $1,400 in relief money.
What is standing between you and your $1,400 stimulus payment?

Government officials are working quickly to pass The American Rescue plan, a proposed $1.9 trillion pandemic aid package. The plan calls for a number of beneficial measures such as,

• A third round of stimulus payments totaling up to $1,400
  • Funding for public health support and vaccine distribution
  • Increased minimum wage
  • Enhancements to the unemployment system

However, there are things that need to happen before you can see the proposed $1,400 stimulus checks.

Congress must vote to pass the stimulus

Before the coronavirus relief deal can be passed, Congress must come to an agreement upon what is written in the plan.

• The Senate must first debate the plan and propose any changes or amendments before voting. If the majority vote in favor, it moves to the House of Representatives to go through a similar process of debating and voting.

• The House of Representatives won’t be in session until February 1, but the plan is to bring the COVID relief plan to the floor as soon as possible. Once the House is able to debate and vote, both houses have to agree on the same version of the proposed bill before it gets passed on to the president for their signature.

• If the proposed plan is unable to attract enough support from both parties, there will be an opportunity to pass it through the budget reconciliation process or by eliminating the legislative filibuster.

President must sign for the IRS to distribute stimulus payments

Once House and Senate come to an agreement and the plan has been approved, it is then sent to the president. If the president approves the legislation, it will be signed into law.

From there, the IRS can distribute the stimulus money to qualified individuals through direct deposit, mailed checks, and prepaid debit cards. The IRS was able to process between 5 million and 7 million a week with the first stimulus check. Meaning if the correct protocols are in place, the IRS could potentially ship out third stimulus checks within days and weeks, rather than weeks and months of the president's signature.

Interested in keeping up with the latest stimulus news? Follow our #stimulus topic.

Comments

SENAIDA GARCIA

How do we get this? I've done my info with irs. But still nothing! How much longer do I have to wait? Thought this stimulus was to help even the disabled as myself?

Michelle Dorsey

When is the 3rd stimulus coming I never received it god can you help me my daddy anvisary is tommorow

TIMMY MINKS

I have never in my life received a stimulus check. Now I know why. I make well over the capped amount. I think that’s some BS too. I pay 25,000 fed taxes and 16,000 state every year and then have to pay another 10,000 at the end of the year between federal and state. Higher tax brackets should be included. I PAY MY DAMN TAXES SO HELP ME GOVERNMENT!! This is ridiculous.

Kathleen Chavies

I never go the third stimulus 1.400

Michael Yetter

I only make $24.300 a year from social security and a small non taxable retirement check. Why do I have to file a tax return? I have not had to file a return in years. I am 82 years old and received I check a few months ago Do still have to file a return in order to receive this current check?

Rhonda Peake

I’m 65 and disabled have filed taxes with my ex husband do I need to file taxes on my own even if I just get social security?

Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas

Am I eligible for stimulus payment homeless want to know have applied

David Lavallee

I filed my 2020 return on April 15 and have yet to receive the $1200 stimulus check and have yet to receive the $1400. When I go to the IRS gov website it says my 2020 return has yet to be processed. The IRS does not provide a number to call. I need the money. Can anyone offer me any info on how I can find out why it has taken 2 months to process my return?

Annie Avant

I never got my 3rd round of stimulant check. Dont know what the problem is. The message was it was put on a card .what card ? Dont have the card.