Posted April 8, 2020

These unemployment eligibility changes may benefit you

There have been changes to unemployment benefits during Coronavirus. See how these may impact you.
These unemployment eligibility changes may benefit you

Determining if you are eligible for unemployment can be confusing. While there are federal rules, requirements also vary from state to state. Be sure to visit your state's official unemployment website for any additional information and clarification.

Head over to this page for state-specific information!

You typically qualify for unemployment benefits if:

• You find yourself unemployed due to circumstances that were not your own fault.

• You meet your state’s requirements for a “base period.” This means you have to have earned or worked a certain amount within a state-specified timeframe.

ATTENTION: Due to COVID-19 and passage of The CARES Act, the federal government has changed some guidelines to allow states to pay benefits to people that previously would not have qualified.

Workers are now eligible in the following cases:

• If an employer ceases operations, an employee can apply if they are prevented from working.

• If an individual is quarantined with the intention of returning to work at the end of quarantine.

• If an individual leaves employment to avoid exposure or to care for a family member.

And the following types of workers are now eligible:

• Self-employed workers

• 1099 independent contractors and gig workers

• Workers with a limited work history – meaning, those who may not have fulfilled the “base period” requirements

NOTE: The federal CARES Act also increases the weekly payment for all unemployed workers, and extends the length of time they can receive benefits. You can now get an additional $600 per week for up to six months. And if you are currently receiving benefits from your state, they can be extended for an additional 13 weeks.

What barriers are you facing with unemployment?

Comments

Darla Eagle

How long does it take to find out if you are approved for unemployment? Need some assistance for a place to stay

Brandon Techentin

Never received the cares act stimlus

Lisa Albert

Ii havent received any kind of benefits since i had my accident whats up with that?

Yosondra Williams

Can I get unemployment if the job didn't pay me and I quit family dollars

Anthony Washington

I was in work release program and held a job 1month then becsuse of covid was laid off.am i eligible

Amanda Blankenship

I live in wv right by the va line my job was in va I started getting payments at the end of June then mid July I got a call from unemployment she asked a few questions all was good with them until she said well you live in one state worked in another I'm gonna have to put a hold on it until I can ask a higher up specialist if you need to apply in the state you worked in or if you can continue your payments here. Someone will get in touch with you and let you know. I haven't heard nothing back no payment since July 18th wont return my call reply to my email nothing. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Dawna mcfalls

Was laid off of ssasonal help at Macy's. But was in Code Red because missed work for health resons

Victor Joe

Unemployment, I have submitted or open claim on December 13th, 2020, since then all I have been getting is correspondence on the website; telling me to send in document proof of employment quarterly, back to July 2019, to current date. I sent in my W2; I sent them my paycheck stubs dates from 07/01/2019 to 12/15/2019 (this was very expensive Faxing 50 pages) and yet they are still asking me for proof! So, I must fax again!! WTH…

When I open a Claim back then 12/13/2019; it said active, but in the correspondence, it was asking for proof of wages, and they are asking me to do quarterly amounts for those periods, I have no clue of how to do that! So, it has been up and down with active/inactive OMG! Just recently they reopen my weekly claim 01/3/2021, and request to have and explained why to reopen 5 weeks of backpay Dec 13th, 2020. (missing from 12/13/2020, 12/19/2020, 12/26/2020, 1/3/2021.
I viewed my correspondence today got another letter saying that I was denied for back pay, even though in my explanation, I told them that I have spoken to a representative 12/17/2019 (I was surprised that unemployment answered the phone) talk to a live person; she said was going to work on backpay to 12/13/2019, due to unreliable website. I had informed her that I do not have access for the weeks following 12/13/2020 for me to submit my certificate, she informed me do not anything will work on it, she will reopen back up to the original claim 2020-01; she also said if I do not see any changes to call back, I have been calling one pick up the Phone.

To present everything is on hold, my payments do me. The reason they are telling me it's on hold, is that I am claiming weekly certificates for all of 2019; 2020 but I have been working in those years, I am not claiming that, the only weekly certificates are from 12/13/2020 to 11/21/2021. I ask the company back on 12/7/2020 when I got a phone call from them, telling I was laid off from my job, do to lack of work (covid-19), I ask can I apply for unemployment my boss at the time said yes. I have continued to submit my weekly certificates since then, now I have an appeal court date on 4-28-2021 about the calming weekly certificates for 2019-2020; can somebody assist me in what might happen, will I get denied?

Shay Dixon

I have a question about the 3rd stimulus check it says they mailed it on the 26th but I still haven't received it,how do I find out where it is or see if I am actually supposed to receive one.. I went on the web site and that's where I found out it was mailed out on the 26th,but it didn't say it sent a check or anything.

Tony Malone

My brother has been off work for 3 months, without pay due to the Corona Virus; Is there any help for him? FMLA runs out this week. Can they fire him?