Senate changes who qualifies for $1,400 checks
Last updated: September 29, 2022
Senate changes who qualifies for $1,400 checks

The Senate has passed the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief plan after a marathon debate. It now needs to make one last trip to the House for final approval.

While the House passed a version of the bill that largely mirrors the original proposals, the Senate has made a number of amendments that have narrowed the bill and pared back eligibility for the next round of stimulus checks. The version passed by the chamber is scheduled to go to the House for the bill’s final approval on Tuesday, it would then head to the president for his signature.

Here are some of the key differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill.

Fewer Americans will receive a stimulus check

Both the House and Senate versions of the bill provide another round of direct payments to Americans, with checks up to $1,400 going to hundreds of millions of eligible individuals. However. The Senate bill instills stricter income limits on who is eligible, which disqualifies millions of people from receiving a payment.

Both House and Senate bills propose:

• The full $1,400 for individuals earning up to $75,000 and married couples with a combined income up to $150,000.

• Gradually smaller checks to those earning more and phasing out completely for those above a certain threshold.

The Senate’s changes to the income cap:

• The House proposed the cap at $100,000 for individuals and $200,000 for married couples, the Senate lowered these thresholds to $80,000 for individuals and $160,000 for married couples.

No increase to federal minimum wage

The House version of the bill proposed a gradual increase of the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2021. The Senate’s version does not include a wage increase as it fell short of the 60 votes needed to pass.

Unemployment payments stay at $300/week, but there will be tax breaks

The stimulus package passed in December 2020 included an additional $300 per week in unemployment benefits that extend through March 14, 2021. The House version increased the benefit to $400 per week through August 29, 2021, but the Senate left it at the current pay of $300 per week through September 6, 2021.

The Senate bill also exempts $10,200 in unemployment benefits received in 2020 from federal taxes for families making less than $150,000 per year.

More stimulus information

Comments

Show previous comments
Richard Belton

I don’t see why people are SSI or Social Security hasn’t got ours yet.

Jerry Mayfield

Will you receive a payment if you owe child support?

Robert Turak

Everyone who is having problems receiving their checks or unemployment - the Federal government is, by nature, inefficient at best or incompetent at worst. Unfortunately you are experiencing it first hand. Yet so many people want to see the Federal government take over more and more in our lives like our health care. There are problems with private health insurance yes, but do you really want the Federal government controlling all of your health care?

Randi Davidson

Everyone I have talked to has already gotten the $1400 this week and yet here I am waiting. I went on the website and it just says it hasn't been processed "We are unable to provide you with the status of your payment or perform the action requested because: The tax return information you entered does not match our records; Please come back after 24 hours and try again. If you need additional help, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page." How can it not match their records when it was all exactly what it has been every year. I even checked my tax return and it is right.

Daphne Mewhinney

When does ssi and ssdi payments go out i cant find no info on the date

Thomas Stauffer

I don't think it's right unemployment gets$300above and people on disability get nothing but disability.I have been working since 1973 and unemployments $300 per week extra , is almost what I get per month on disability . Some of those on unemployment , might have only worked 1 year full time because it was a high school job that became full time when they turned 18 . Obviously , since I have worked since 1973 , I'm 60 . Never been On welfare , served in the Army , cut meat since 1990 , I feel those of us on disability are the forgotten Americans . Disabled Seniors Lives Matter !!!

Michael Martin

I haven't received any stimulus checks I am now unemployed after 2yrs of work and have no bank account

Steven Schenk

I never did receive my $600 so claimed it on my 2020 tax returns back in early February and to this day have not received the refund, not working and could really used it back when originally they were issued, what a mess!

Mario Westcott

When Will My Stimulus Check Arrive??? I'm Disabled With Prostate Cancer!!!

Tom Upperman