Posted May 4, 2021

We asked job hunters: What’s stopping you from returning to work?

Job hunters from the Jobcase community answer "what's stopping you from returning to work?" From lack of childcare to insufficient pay and fear of the Coronavirus - we hear from everyday workers.
We asked job hunters: What’s stopping you from returning to work?

As vaccine rates are beginning to pick up across the United States, it seems as though the light at the end of a long, dark #Coronavirus tunnel is growing brighter. This means job seekers can begin moving forward with their job search.

Various industries - especially hospitality and food services - are beginning to ramp up hiring, but they’re having a hard time finding workers to fill the openings.

So, we asked our Jobcase members what’s stopping you from returning to work? Here’s what we found.

Most people cannot find work that fits their requirements

A majority of the members who responded expressed that they were having trouble finding jobs in their area or roles that accommodate their work-life demands like childcare scheduling and salary necessities.

"I’ve been trying to find a remote job since I have two kids at home and one is still a newborn but haven’t had any luck yet."
- Ilaisaane Latu

Some members expressed the offered pay was not high enough:

"Cannot find a descent paying job that will pay my bills."
- Wayne Hamilton

"Looking for a part time job. Still looking for a job that fits me. Tired of working for peanuts."
- Linda Gajewski

And some members are just hitting dead-end roads or employer ghosting following applications or interviews:

"I have had several interviews and no seems interested. Also, I have received emails letting me know that I got rejected."
- Tommy Bauer

Many people are uncomfortable returning to work because of COVID

Fear is a powerful emotion, and it has been in overdrive since the COVID pandemic shut down many businesses over a year ago. With so much change and ambiguity that has happened, it’s no surprise that many people are uncertain about returning to work due to fear of contracting the virus or bringing it home to loved ones.

"I am uncomfortable returning to work because of COVID-19.'
- Lynne Barton

"I left my tech position due to fear of bringing covid home to my babies and now employers are saying I'm not eligible for hire because I have less than a year experience..but I don't get discouraged I know I made the best decision for me."
- Dodrelan Roberson

Despite the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) that intends to prevent #ageism in hiring for workers 40 or older, age discrimination may seep into the job search process.

"Ageism is a huge problem, especially for women."
- Selina-Marie Serrano

"I seriously think it’s my age. I’m 58. Even though I look and act much younger, I get overlooked for a younger person."
- Tammy Hughes

"I’m disabled, over 50, and haven’t had a job in over 15 years. I’m not even sure I have any skills employers are looking for."
- Stacey Walker

What's stopping you from returning to work? Comment below or jump into the conversation here.

Comments

Loretta Faheem

I worked at H&R Block during this past tax season. All employees were adults. There was a washroom that was offered to the public as well. However, when the employees either don't "hit" the toilet, refuse to flush...at least twice, or fail to wash their hands after using mouthwash, I'd had enough.

Roberta Davis

A lot of jobs are not telling enough information before they ask you all of your personal business. You don't even know if you qualify. But they want you to tell it all. That can make people uncomfortable.

4 Likes
James Wagoner

I am one that's working and have been working and lots that were working during the pandemic. Don't be fooled there lots of jobs and has been jobs. Do I expect a doctor that loses his job to stuff like this to work warehouse or clean no but when you need money most of us do ever it takes. I am and have been working because I need to pay rent and bills. I get it no one wants to work for chump change and make business owners rich and employers expect so much but offer little and seem to think there doing us a favor but I don't have a choice so until I can find out how people are getting by not working I am stuck weather I like it or not and will do what it takes

6 Likes
DUANE DUREN

How about adding laziness and great unemployment benefits as a reason!! Why would anyone work when the government enables people to stay home and give them 1000.00 dollars a week tax free to do nothing!!!!

Laura Wade-Dahlberg

For me, there are three main factors getting between me & a job.

1) There's ageism, as I'm well over 55;
2) There's the problem that I have multiple disabilities, so I need to work at home & can only work part time; & then
3) There's the problem that I've been out of the workforce for several years, due to my disabilities.
So, I'm working with a job coach through my community health provider & state Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), my local Works! (workforce) center - they're providing me with online, updated software training. I'm also using the various job sites, to find work-related self-improvement programs/training, as well as job listings.
The biggest thing is, I just keep applying for jobs, even when I get ghosted by an employer, I just move on to the next one; I know that something will eventually work out for me.

2 Likes
Richard Spain

Frustration. despair. underemployment. too long a gap, reverse gender discrimination, outright ageism.

2 Likes
John Coe

Although it is supposed to be illegal, I think age is still used to not hire older workers. They can't ask your age so now they ask what year you graduated high school. They would rather hire a young person who they feel may be with them for a number of years than an older one who is not be able to be the career person they want. Then the young person is gone to greener pastures in 6 months to a year. Older workers are severely underrated as to what they can contribute to a company. And many of us don't need or want their benefits as we have better. Thus, another savings to the company. If I were an employer, I would hire as many older people as were qualified.

3 Likes
Nari Davis

I’ve run into many of the same issues with ageism, low paying jobs and endless dead end applications when applying for my career skill set.

3d
Ronda Marten

I live in a smaller city and the higher paying jobs tend to either demand hard skills that don't correspond with mine or have physical demands that my body just can't fulfill. I can't take the part-time or low paying jobs because I am single and the only one to pay my bills. Right now I can pay them with unemployment and healthcare aid. It is $370 minus taxes a week not $1000. If I take a low paying job I lose the healthcare as well as the unemployment. So even if I make the same as $370 per week healthcare etc is now taken out and considering how much it costs I'd lose quite a bit of income and would struggle to keep bills paid. I'm 49 and have bad knees. Taking two or more jobs would be extremely painful and frankly add to healthcare costs. I've worked hard all my life and need to make calculated decisions. I'm applying to places and doing freelance work. Contrary to some people's opinions, not everyone who is still receiving unemployment is lazy or living in luxury.

3d
Alison Sanchirico

I am an experienced HR Coordinator - 31 years to be exact. While I was still employed prior to COVID my hourly rate of pay was a little more than middle of the road for going rate. Now that so many people are out of work, companies want the highest education and experience but for half the cost. I've never seen anything like it before. Companies are taking advantage to the point where you can't earn a living wage anymore. I made 27.47 and company want a higher degree than I have for 16.00 and 17.00 dollars an hour. Very disturbing.

14h