These unemployment eligibility changes may benefit you

Laila Nashat
April 8, 2020

Determining if you are eligible for unemployment can be confusing. While there are federal rules, requirements also vary from state to state. Be sure to visit your state's official unemployment website for any additional information and clarification.

Head over to this page for state-specific information!

You typically qualify for unemployment benefits if:

• You find yourself unemployed due to circumstances that were not your own fault.

• You meet your state’s requirements for a “base period.” This means you have to have earned or worked a certain amount within a state-specified timeframe.

ATTENTION: Due to COVID-19 and passage of The CARES Act, the federal government has changed some guidelines to allow states to pay benefits to people that previously would not have qualified.

Workers are now eligible in the following cases:

• If an employer ceases operations, an employee can apply if they are prevented from working.

• If an individual is quarantined with the intention of returning to work at the end of quarantine.

• If an individual leaves employment to avoid exposure or to care for a family member.

And the following types of workers are now eligible:

• Self-employed workers

• 1099 independent contractors and gig workers

• Workers with a limited work history – meaning, those who may not have fulfilled the “base period” requirements

NOTE: The federal CARES Act also increases the weekly payment for all unemployed workers, and extends the length of time they can receive benefits. You can now get an additional $600 per week for up to six months. And if you are currently receiving benefits from your state, they can be extended for an additional 13 weeks.

What barriers are you facing with unemployment?

33 Likes

Comments

James Knight

I on SSI can I draw unemployment

Faye Mcneil

I had to quarantine myself from my job for 14 days to be with my daughter when’s she has her baby can I get unemployment for the 14 days I had to be In quarantine

Carmen Maldonado

I'm working but my hours are being cut down to 28 hours a week when I was working 52 hours a week. So am I able to get sumthing?

V Guzman

If the person is working part time but is waiting on their permanent resident card to be renewed from INS, is that person eligible for the cares act/unemployment insurance ?

JULIO Arroyo

I was receiving SSI but they stopped because I got arrested can I find out if I'm still receiving it or not

Jacqueline Williams

I receive S S and was receiving unemployment until 2/26/2020. I fell 11/01/2019 and as long as I did physical therapy I was available and able to work. The doctor scheduled me to have rotator cuff surgery in February. I stated I was unavailable to work and the conrovirus started. I was unable to get Into The system for months. I was released to return to work 05/19/2020. Please advise if i am eligible to sign up for the pandemic unemployment ireopened my claim and it took three weeks. I have not heard anything. Please advise what I should do i need a little help. Thank you

Aleisha Sasser

I applied for PUA about a month ago and have been in pending status since. I did not really make a lot of income in 2019 and I need to know if that will affect my approval of benefits and will I get or am I eligible for benefits being self employed? I was making $400 or more per week before Covid but am unable to work at the job site cleaning due to client being high risk for getting the virus. Please help me!!

Melissa Eads

My supervisor is being abusive to me so I had to quit can I get benefits

Keshia Ward

one day at mcdonalds i bring up the first run of lunch you know what they had brought back from the night before ok so when i did my job is to grab half the boxes not full ones always use empty first then new ol so when i did bring what i did the box had like ten nuggets well i didn't think i look is there another box cuz that all i was gonna bring is first run and i was took off grill almost after that well later i go break come back when i come back i getting scorned by the owner for running out nuggets k didn't know there was no nuggets they mcdonalds suppose have a lot nuggets i told him o this that he said i was making excuses my job and i careless i should reimburse the mg gas from the other town bring nuggets to our store and apologize to all the customers explain why we ran out for ten mins... ok so you think that my fault i quit i couldn't work there anymore after he done called me out embarrassed me in front of all my crew team players ok so ya lmk if that was my job where my extra pay mg and. respect was there 2005 till 2020 and get treated like that 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️😭😭🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Angela Granillo