When to stop waiting for unemployment

Ashley Wilson
July 31, 2020

If you lost your job due to COVID and have been dealing with the unemployment process it can be incredibly draining. You continue to wait and hope without any answers of when or if that unemployment money will come. You might be asking yourself, should I step away from the unemployment process? Here are somethings that you need to know!

You are unable to pay bills

If you are stressed financially and waiting to pay for critical things such as a house payment, rent, etc. and are finding yourself falling behind it is important to not place all of your hope on the arrival of unemployment benefits. Even those who are eligible unfortunately suffer long wait times for their money to arrive. While the funds may come, you may be doing more harm than good waiting for them without any source of income.

Don't be nervous to look for work

The unemployment process was never ideal in the best of times and now today during COVID with so many out of work the process is more difficult and frustrating than ever before. Sitting and waiting without answers is sending many individuals into debt or into worse case scenarios such as losing their homes. Take an hour each day to search for jobs. Update your resume and get back out there! Here are some wonderful resume tips to help make yours stand out!

You can still collect

Many individuals have stopped searching for work and are continuing to wait for unemployment to come in. However, you can look for work, land a job, and then still collect what was originally owed to you. You will not miss out, so make sure to continue to file for unemployment for the weeks you were without work and also apply for jobs. Again, no one can say for sure how long the funds will take to arrive so it’s best to be prepared with a backup means of income. This will also help prevent any large debts from worsening over time. If you have unemployment concerns make sure to pay a visit to the unemployment resource center here on Jobcase!

Waiting creates larger gaps

The longer you go without work the larger the gaps will grow on your #resume and the harder it will be to land a job. Remember that you are always more desirable to employers when you have a job versus when you are without one for a long period of time. Consider taking a part-time job, for now, to help you financially as well as on paper while you secure something more long term. Check out these gig opportunities to get started working right away.

How is YOUR job search going?

10 Likes

Comments

Glen Wilby

I am currently collecting the 2nd lowest weekly unemployment benefits in the country. We get $240 .Yep.What if I arranged for tax to be taken .OH MY Not great here I n Arizona. Covid rampant and seems to be out of conrtol.

Lauren Moore

The information you gave is not self-producing. This is one of the most scariest times the world has been though. And for people who have no income coming in and can’t find jobs, even if employment is available, it is not life sustaining. What is very evident to me, is how unforgiving and selfish America is. Sources of income are hard to come by. The system crash with the increases of people applying for unemployment. Everybody want theirs even where there is no means to get it. Stimulus payments were a joke, with 1.4 millions dollars going to decease people, refund checks are still held up, food stamps are not realistic to feed a family but people are still saying be patient. If and when I get back to work, I dare an employer to ask me about a gap in employment. There are no timely solutions and we in America are going to lose a lot of human beings not due to COVID but hopelessness.

5 Likes
Marian M Noel

This is our new normal. 40 million people are unemployed and most states that were prosperous are on the brink. Unemployment benefits are not really the answer, but there are solutions. Find what your strengths are; what you love doing that you can turn into a business, and maybe you can start your own business. It may not be easy but with passion and love you can make it.

Lauren Moore

You need money to start a business or solid outside support. I am not looking for easy, never had it easy, just looking for common sense support. Had 10,000.00 to start a business, but I had to eat it and pay basic bills.

2 Likes
Julie Cattoni

I can relate!

5d
James Krawczyk

Everybody that is commenting and hurting financially , I can feel your pain . You WILL get your money eventually . Just remember ONE THING . The person leading our country is 100 % to blame for the mess we are all in . D T is totally responsible for the suffering and tens of thousands of needless deaths . He should have shut the country down completely in the beginning "January". Vote him out of office this November . Watch CNN news . D T says everything is under control and the country is doing GREAT. Do you feel like your doing great ? Get rid of the biggest problem and begin to heal .

2d
Bienvenido Cagandahan

Thank you for all the information and informative news.

2d
Cynthia Brown

I have a job waiting if I can get my car back I will never deal with unemployment again waiting now for Empoyment payments been waiting I have faith that God will work. It out ???????????to all that are out of work and waiting GOD bless and keep you in his holy hands on you

7h
Renee Vearrier

You obviously are not having to live there reality. I have been looking for a job for four months I have a degree I have 25 years of work experience and I cannot get a job because there are very few jobs and mini mini people looking. That is the fat. So you seem to not be afraid to go look for a job and to put your resume together is just stupid. Because I’m pretty sure most people have the resume together and have been looking for a job there are just no jobs so perhaps you should not say things that you know nothing about

4h