All Jobcasers
Profile placeholder

Turning down a job offer tactully?

I interviewed for a digital printing company over the phone and then was caleed in for an interview the same week. All went well, but when I got there, I found it to be about an hour away, one way, and without traffic, with traffic, it will easily become an hour and half drive! Then I find that they only have first and second shift, with first being 6am-2pm and second from 2-11. I am clear on my resume that 3rd is my preference,not just that, but during their busy times, they work 4am-4pm or 6pm-2am for second. I have kids and I am divorced with no help from my ex,but at the same time, I need a job. I metwith the plant manager that day and he informed me that everyone usually work 70+ hours a week when they are busy.

Now I don`t mind hard work, but again, I have a life and kids home, plus an over an hour commute from home. I plan to move closer whenever I can find a rental that i affordable, but in the mean time, I will be commuting, and even then I will still have a 30 minute drive, one way.

My question is this, the hr lady wanted me to come back this afternoon to meet with the company`s regional manager. It sounds good and like they are really considering me, and I told them I would come. I agreed because I was getting no other call backs. Now another company has called and they have night shift and I get a better feel off this job. The hr lady for the other company seems sweet and like a nice person, but this new company offers better hours. They are in the same area, unfortunately.

But my question is this, how do I handle interviewing with the first job with the undesirable hours, should they offer me a job today? My interview for the other company is tomorrow. I REALLY want the job from the company im interviewing with tomorrow, but right now I haven`t received an offer from either.

Both sound promising, but should the today interview land me a job offer, how can I handle it while stalling and waiting to see what the other says tomorrow?

Comments

Profile placeholder

Well, if you get an offer from the first place, just ask if you can have a couple days to think about it. Then go to the second interview and see how it goes. Good luck