Good Morning one and all. I was laid off due to down sizing back on Aug 30. I've been on several interviews but so far no dice. Through staying in touch with several employees at the old job I have heard that the company is extending over time and is rumored to be considering hiring beginning in January. I am considering applying if that is true but might ask that my COBRA be reimbursed since the company did lay me off and might also ask for a raise. Any opinions???
Need Nurses in New Orleans.
Hiiii everyone.. Please i need ur opinions. Am a Cameroonian based in Cameroon/40/single/2 kids/state enrolled nurse with 8yrs of experience..please what does it take for me being an African to get a job abroad?Am a nurse..can aswell work as a Nanny,Caregiver.please enlighten me.Thanks
I agree with your update. Never go back to a company that fired or laid you off. They had their chance and wasted it with you. It could end up being mutually beneficial. I am sure they had legitimate reasons to lay you off, but if they made that decision, then you know where you stand with them in terms of value.
Don't wait around. Keep filling out other applications. Then if they question that, you say can't wait around for you.
Good morning James. Having been on both sides of this issue, and forgive me, I'm a little strapped for time today. So I'm just going to go right to the bottom line.
James, Although I can absolutely appreciate your position, I'd recommend you don't do either. You don't say where you're from. So I'm going to assume you live in California, which is an "at-will" state.
- You were dismissed because of the needs of the company. It was financially beneficial to them, things were probably tight. If you are in a position to discuss coming back, asking them to pay you back for Cobra dollars you paid would not only be inappropriate, and they are under no obligation to do so. But it may actually be construed as offensive. Same results can me expected if you ask them for a raise. Both would be reasons not to rehire you.
Instead, put the Cobra dollars you paid behind you. You benefited from having the insurance. Then, show them based on your consistent and quality job performance why bringing you back was a good choice, and a good investment. Learn and if possible assume additional job responsibilities, You will be recognized as a more valued employee and it will look good on your resume if you want to look for a better paying job,
Good lukh and God bless.
You may not get your CORA cost back, but it nice to try to get it. As for the raise, don't ask for a substantial increase, just what you may have been owed at your last increase or review. Any increase will depend on what you were doing at the last review & how your work was perceived and helped the company move forward.
If there was a lot of requests for sick leave or vacation time, your increase will go flat. You didn't meet their expectations of you. If there weren't any time-off requests or missed work, the request for an increase will be more acceptable to the company.
As a minimum, as for a $1.00 increase and go from there. You may get upwards of a $5.00 to $10.00 increase by starting low. If they don't want to give you more money, ask for a better benefits package. This will make you happier and you can ask for you COBRA costs in return.
A COBRA runs up to $18,000 for a short period of time, which is excessive, but the ex-employee is paying both portion of the premium not just his portion. As you experienced when you had a COBRA, your replacement policy was rather expensive also. You pay the employer's portion, as well as the employee's portion & they can get rather pricey depending on the package that the employer negotiates with the Insurance company.
Good luck in in negotiating for your job and any benefits you get.
Wishing you All The Best in your search for new opportunities!!!
J just got over trigger surgery. Was not fired. Moo
Hi James. You should apply for the job, get the job, work the job, keep the job for a while and then start making a demand. Good luck to you!
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I have given it some more thought and I think that if they do start hiring in January I am going to pass and seek my fortunes elsewhere. Again, thank you all for your views. And I do hope that everyone voted today.