Posted April 8, 2020

Unemployment Benefits: What if my benefits end?

Unemployment Benefits: What if my benefits end?

At some point in time, your unemployment benefits will come to an end as they are designed to be a temporary solution as you search for employment.

If yours are about to end make sure you prepare early to lessen the impact when your benefits do run out. Here are somethings to consider.

The amount of time that unemployment benefits will be paid is determined by your state. For YOUR state's specific information, click here.

• Usually, most states pay benefits for a period of 26 weeks, but they may extend benefits when there is a high percentage of unemployed workers.

• If you currently receive benefits and the state chooses to extend the benefits program, your unemployment insurance agency should contact you.

• You can contact your state unemployment insurance agency to ask about extending your benefits.

• In the worst case, if you become eligible you can enroll in state and federal welfare programs for assistance.

Some guidelines have changed

Due to COVID-19 and passage of The CARES Act, the federal government has changed some guidelines to allow states to increase and extend benefits:

• Workers can now get an additional $600 per week for up to six months.

• If you are currently receiving benefits from your state, they can be extended for an additional 13 weeks.

Have other questions? Check out these informative articles.

Stay strong and remember to check out all the resources available to you!

How has the unemployment process been for you so far?

Comments

Sherrie Sanders

What if you go back to work does the remaining funds stay in your account or does that go back to state.

Mary Davis

I see unemployment is extended for 13 weeks in ohio when that runs out and this coronavirus is still going on are you gonna extend it longer I see in ohio sometimes they extend it for 20 weeks during high unempliyment is that gonna happen in this case??

April Lindsey Burgamy

Georgia unemployment doesn’t care!! I have been out of work 13 weeks( No fault of my own) and applied for benefits. I have NOT received a letter, email, money...NOTHING! I have called everyday and left messages NO CALL BACK ITS BEEN 13 weeks of calling! My online just tells me what I can receive weekly. I did everything I was ask and have claimed each week. We are in the middle of a crisis and this is how we are treated !! I have worked all my life to lose everything I work for because there under staffed! Top of all this I have lupus and it would be nice to be able to buy my medicine!

3 Likes
Chris Wells

it's been a real good experience and really nice to have an income for me and my family while I'm unemployed during this covid-19 thanks everyone in Jackson Mississippi and I'm right down 55 from y'all in McComb I do appreciate it thank you all and it's been a great experience hopefully mine will be extended for another 13 weeks if not God bless all and thanks again !!!

3 Likes
Lynn Lay-collins

It has been the worst experience with any government facility that I've ever encountered it has been Non-Stop Denial adjudication pending issues Overall It is terrible

2 Likes
Richard Byron
  I'm seeking a clear answer to a serious question. This being the first time I've ever had apply for unemployment aid of any type. My actual application date is May 18, 2020, I received benefits totaling my state minimum( $117.00wk) for the back weeks of 2/2/2020 thru 3/15/2020 a total of 8 weeks. Starting the week of 3/22/2020, I began to receive the state benefits along with the federal stimulus funds. I didn't receive any federal stimulus funds from 9/13/2020 thru 12/27/2020.
Now my state is a state that provides 26 weeks of regular benefits, which I was led to believe, the 50 weeks of federal stimulus funds, didn't or wasn't meant to include whatever weeks that the state provided. The way it reads it is an extension of the states benefits.
    So FINALLY, my question is there any type of extension that I can apply for while seeking employment?
2 Likes
Blaine Smith

It's sad that whoever is reading these hell find some number some answer help that that work for what's there because seems like all the scammer is winning help that make since please

Kim Cummings

Worked 40 plus years and got 14 weeks cause employer of 13yrs did pay in right. Couldn't find work because of covid. No government help. Iowa governor is trying to stop ANY help. It's crazy I have to lose everything at the age of 54

Whitney Deblase

I'm locked out. Waiting. But I started work Monday. Soo thank goodnes

ANGELA ADAMO

Why’ my Axos Bank account is having some serious issues and I cannot even use the debit card to buy something online

6d