What does the USPS Pre Hire list mean?
Last updated: February 6, 2023
What does the USPS Pre Hire list mean?

The US Postal Service’s Pre Hire list means you’re still early in the job process.

The USPS Pre Hire List is an early stage in the Postal Service’s complex hiring process – and is a sign that you’re in the running for the position you applied for.

Once applicants pass the online Virtual Entry Assessment (VEA), their application status is changed to "Pre Hire list," and the application continues on down the hiring path. However, if applicants don’t test high enough on the VEA, they’ll see their online status as "Ineligible."

You’ve made it on the Pre Hire list. Now what?

Once you’re on the Pre Hire list, the process speed can vary. USPS has hiring rules and steps that can take anywhere from several days to several weeks to move applicants along the pipeline. The wait depends on each location’s hiring needs, their applicant load (USPS accepts a limited number of applications per position, on a first-come, first-served basis), and testing schedules.

Depending on the position applied for, the next steps along the hiring route may include:

• Interview
  • Additional in-person testing
  • Motor vehicle record screening
  • Job offer, which will kick off additional screening:
    • Drug and criminal background check
    • Fingerprinting
    • National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) The NACI includes checks on employment history, criminal convictions over the past 5 years, education, and references.

Keep these information tidbits in mind when applying for a job with USPS, and your patience could pay off with a new job. The hiring process for a federal job with USPS can be long, but stay positive — once you make the Pre Hire list you’re on your way there!

Comments

Show previous comments
S T

If you are on the Pre-hire list you can sit there for a very long time. It can be because a job got posted that there was not a current need for but they foresee a need in the future. If you passed the exam you are dropped into that status to be considered against other applicants in the future. You may have scored really high congratulations but, a Veteran has additional pts so they can actually get priority if they scored the same or higher than you.

fenomeno83 jay

what does application entry status mean on usps? Any one knows what it means?

fenomeno83 jay

what does application entry status mean on usps?

gizell Hayes

i been on the pre hire list for a while but im cool with it if its meant god will let it go through im claiming this job no negativity in my life gods on my side.

Kathleen Benoit
Customer Care Specialist at Miracle Ear

I applied for PSE position in March 2022. I was fingerprinted in April 2022. I received an email saying that I was hired and to wait for contact info on where to go for orientation. I received another email stating that I needed to be fingerprinted. I contacted the location where I had it done, and was told not to worry about getting re-fingerprinted, that I was hired and it was on file. The last email I received, was "Offer Rescinded" for not getting fingerprinted !!! Contacted everyone that had emailed me. no response. When I finally called and got a response I was sent to a website that does not exist. I am dumbfounded, but I still try. I applied again and have been on the pre-hire list for 3months now. I have a 99 on testing. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone?

Chad Kandaris

I got hired in about a year ago and they never did a drug test. Thought that was kind of strange

Tacoda Jones

When they called me to do fingerprints it is all the way in Richmond va that's 3 hrs away ... Why can't I just do them in my city?

Emanuel Saunders
Residential Assistant at The Seed Public Charter School

I tried the cca position,it wasn’t for me.I decided to change my craft .now ive been on the hiring list for 3 months and had an interview.what’s taking so long if I was already in the system?

Priscilla Geter

Sounds great! I'll be looking forward to the next steps to gain employment with USPS in the future. Thanks Priscilla Geter Smith

Dyanna Chavez

My application says Hiring Process, under Process on the application. What does that mean exactly.