What you need to know about Walmart’s background check process
Last updated: February 6, 2023
What you need to know about Walmart’s background check process

It’s policy to conduct a background check for all potential employees

Like the vast majority of employers, Walmart conducts background checks on potential new hires to limit the risk to the company, its employees, and customers. Here’s what you need to know about Walmart’s background check and the grounds for disqualification.

The Walmart background check

While Walmart focuses on criminal checks, they also look into a couple of other things. Here’s what Walmart is interested in:

• Criminal records

Walmart will look at felonies and misdemeanor arrests and convictions for the previous 7 years. Violent, sexual, drug, and financial/larceny offenses are most likely grounds for disqualification. Walmart does not hire violent criminals.

Note: Expunged records will not show up on a background check.

• Identity confirmation

This includes address history and Social Security number validation. Hiring managers want to confirm what you say on your application is true. If an old address doesn’t match where you said you graduated from high school, this dishonesty could lead to disqualification.

• Sex Offender Registry

On the state and/or federal level. If a sex crime was convicted more than 7 years ago, it won’t show up on the criminal check. Presence on the sex offender list is grounds for disqualification; Walmart doesn’t hire convicted sex offenders.

• Credit score

Depending on state law, they may check credit scores. You have to give express permission for this. A poor credit score may flag a potential hire in an accounting or money-handling position, and may lead to disqualification.

• Employment and education history

They want to verify the truth of your application. Dishonesty with either previous jobs or education is a reason not to hire you.

Job eligibility at Walmart: Put your best foot forward

Be truthful during your background check, regardless of what you expect the check to reveal. Answer each question in the application and interview honestly and thoroughly. Walmart supports the Ban the Box initiative, so you won’t answer a question about convictions on the application. But don’t fill in false dates for other jobs to cover up a gap in employment! If something not listed on your applications show up during the background check, you’ll be banned from working in any Walmart property.

It’s up to the location hiring manager to make the call. So do your best to make a personal connection!

Comments

Show previous comments
Nicole Detwiler

Hoping my felony from 8 years ago doesn't disqualify me getting the job i admitted to it on the application before they ran the check. So hopefully honestly works in my favor

2d
Sarah Touchet
None at None

I have a charge on my background from 06/03/2009 the charge is a Misdemeanor it is not a felony all charges dropped and thrown out of court. Sarah touchet

Joseph Tyler
Apprentice Carpenter at Zoo Crew Construction

So I just went through this with Walmart they offered me a job I accepted the job so I quit looking for another job then almost a month later the told Me they could not hire me because of a past drug charge from 5 yrs ago which I ended up getting off probation a year early I explained to the hiring manager my past she said since it was 5 yrs ago it wouldn't be a problem then I get a email saying because of my background check they couldn't hire me . But they say the are an equal opportunity employment I think there should be a class action suit against them because they are not a equal opportunity employment

Sarah Touchet
None at None

I did my application but I haven't got any news about my background check

Richard Bell

Just went interview with Walmart coach earlier, I just tell him truth about my backgound check that why I was rejected back other sites in midtown which I haven't hear from them for background check but I just want hold on this position that I wait for my motivation work night stocker here in my hometown which across street, somehow he want to see why I was rejection.. so I just tell him truth. then he just said its up to Walmart decision for hiring me or not… I was just make mistake decision for background check back in 2017.. which I was prayin that I want have that kind job position for me work Walmart that I away want dream about work here in Muldoon town… pray that I will get hiring that job.. forget past. we all just had make mistake and we are not bad peoples as they think.. we just having issues problem in our history…. I am not same like before.. I been change a lot.. just quit smoke cigarette since 4 weeks… also I'm about want work next level for wanting do ordering supply for merchandise to stocking those Walmart town which l want work hard and respectful all co workers and make Walmart customer happy… yeah, I'm deaf but hard of hearing.. I want work there all I want for my best work hard as I speak which is truth… god bless all

Louis Maiorino

I think a class action lawsuit should be brought against Walmart

Naomi Carmichael

This article states that it's up to the "location hiring manager" to make the call. And the "location hiring manager" that I just spoke to said it was NOT up to them, and that they simply get a YES or NO from background check co. or Corporate (not sure who she was referring to). So, either they changed their process, or she was just protecting herself from backlash.

Monika Sandlin
Assistant Manager at Family Dollar

This definitely not true. I was told I was not hireable for something on my background was from almost 15 years ago. It wasn't a violent crime, and it was adjudicated which means I didn't admit guilt and I wasn't supposed to have anything on my record. But was denied for this.

Jacqulyn Rose

I'm hoping I get the job. Overnight stocking.

Rafael Renta

Thank you for your input I'm currently working another job that's also waiting on a background check to hire me full time rather than a temp it's just stressful that twenty years later we can't leave our past behind, we were kids