Posted August 18, 2020

Struggling with unemployment? Your state rep may be able to help

The disorganization of the unemployment systems across the U.S. has millions of disgruntled Americans asking “where is my unemployment check?” Your state representative may be the best way to resolve unemployment issues.
Struggling with unemployment? Your state rep may be able to help

Unemployment is at a historic high throughout the country, and the disorganization of the system has millions of disgruntled Americans asking “where is my unemployment check?” If you’re one of these individuals impacted by a broken system and are looking for a place to find answers, your state representative may be the best way to resolve unemployment issues.

Contacting your state’s elected legislator is an easy thing to do, once you know how. Here is a quick guide on what they can do for you, and where to start!

What is a state representative?

State representatives serve in the legislative branch of the state government. They serve in their state’s House of Representatives and are involved in the process of making state laws. Though there’s only one group of United State representatives who all work together to make U.S. laws, each state has its own set of state representatives who work independently of those in other states.

Why should you reach out to a state representative?

States are facing surges of unemployment amid the Coronavirus pandemic, countless individuals are finding themselves running around trying to find answers to a neverending list of questions. State legislators and their staff are there to help with situations such as these.

Your state representatives are legislators that are elected to represent YOUR concerns and answer your state-level questions. When contacting your state rep, you want to make sure you’re discussing issues they can directly influence. On a state level, this can be things such as unemployment, local education funding, road maintenance, and police funding.

Steps to contacting state representatives

You have the right to express your opinion on all matters relating to the current political landscape. Representatives have an entire team of staff that are devoted to serving their constituents, and it’s your responsibility to raise concerns and make your voice heard.

Step 1: Figure out who your representative is

The United States House of Representatives provides a public database of contact information for each of your state’s elected officials. When you figure out who your state representative is, take the time to do a little bit of background research about them and the issues they support. Make sure you are using reliable sources such as their official website, social media accounts, and other government pages.

Step 2: Learn how to contact them

Chances are you won’t be finding the cell phone number of your state representative anywhere online. This means when you are “calling your reps,” you’re really “calling your rep’s designated staffer.” But, is calling always the best way to have your voice be heard? It really depends, there are various ways you can reach out.

Phone call
Phone calls may be the most effective way to reach out to your state representative. Whenever possible, reach out to the office directly. You may also call the Capitol switchboard at 866-255-3207 who can direct you to the correct office.

Always let the staffer know what specific issue you are calling about and ask to speak to the correct aide. They are generally very busy, so give your full name and state and get to the point quickly and concisely! Think of it as a quick elevator pitch of your thoughts and concerns.

If you are calling and calling an office but you A) can’t get through or B) their voicemail is full, email is another great way to contact your state representative. Most times, you can find their direct email address on their website. When you’re finished crafting your message, be sure to proofread the subject line and body before hitting send!

Snail-mail letter
Letters, though effective ways to communicate with elected officials, are the slowest method of contact. Due to security measures, all mail and packages must be screened prior to reaching the Capitol. So it may take weeks until your elected official opens your letter.

When writing a letter, be sure to keep it brief (1 page or less), state who you are, and add a personal touch to the overall message.

Social media
Though not as traditional as other methods, social media sites like Facebook and Twitter are the newest and arguably, easiest way to contact your state representative.

Phone calls and letters may carry more value in the eyes of lawmakers and congressional aides, contacting your legislators through social media has the unique advantage of occurring in the public’s eye and potentially sparking dialogue. Remember to always be respectful and never use offensive language.

Have you ever reached out to a state representative? What steps did you take?

Comments

Dennis Luebbert

LOL. A State Representative is not interested in someone on Unemployment or seeking Unemployment Compensation. When you lose your job, even because of COVID-19, you are a Second class citizen. Especially to an elected government official. Those politicians have no use for the unemployed. Besides, they are all busy trying to help themselves to the good life!

5 Likes
Lenin Pina

Great suggestion @Elyssa Duncan . A lot of members have been reporting favorable outcomes with unpaid unemployment and stimulus using this method. Hopefully everyone in need get a view at this info. Thanks :)

3 Likes
namisha bratcher

I've contacted a few of my State representatives and I've gotten responses from 2 of them. They ask you for information regarding your issue and they put you on a list. I haven't heard anything from unemployment yet. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week I'll email them again. I'm very persistent.

3 Likes
namisha bratcher

No I'm in Georgia. You can get the email addresses from the unemployment website. It lists the government officials.

Barbara Phillips

If they are not doing their job they should be fired! They should be serving the people of their state.

3 Likes
Brooke Warming

I have called the IRS, no lie 25 times from May until August about my payment. I learnt you tell the agent that cant tell you anything that you need to talk to someone else. They transfer your call to someone who can actually answer questions. I was told, which is a blatant lie, that on my taxes it stated someone could claim me. I am in my late 40's, the last time someone claimed me is when I was 16yrs old. Your trying to tell me, I've been waiting all this time for nothing. I told her there must have been a mistake, it has to be changed, she stated there was a dead line and I t. No, I didnt miss it cause for months, I couldn't get thru, finally I get thru, you cant tell me anything, now I get someone to talk to states I cant get it due to the iRS mess up. REALLY!!! What is this country coming too.....

Deborah Curren

I think it's an attempt to get our unemployment issue's resolved. It's better being on the phone and battling with unemployment. Being hung up 3 x. I've been there done that too many times.

Brian Blackhart

I'm hoping that ANYONE HAS A friend THAT is the one that approves unemployment payments then maybe you could speak to them on my behalf because I have originally applied for my unemployment in August and was approved but never did receive the first payment so I filed again in October was approved again and I still have not received the first payment. I have submitted all the paperwork they asked done my weekly certifications as instructed called my state legislature, called my state representative, and also contacted the department of labor and workforce development and still I don't seem to be able to get a payment of any kind. This has caused me to lose my place to live and me and my fiance are now sleeping in her vehicle in the freezing cold and are barely able to scrape together gas money to be able to start it and keep it running when it gets so freezing cold we can't stand it anymore. So if you know someone who could help us with this please talk to them and see if you can't get my payments approved. I have followed all the rules and at this point I don't know how much longer I can hold on and how much more I can take. The only thing that I know I have left to do is try to contact somebody from the news media to see if I can't get them to shed some light on this for me because it sure doesn't seem that I'm getting anybody else's attention and like I said I don't know how much more me and my fiance can stand at this point

Karen Thatcher

I feel for you all and all of us. I started getting my un-employment checks and did get them thru part of August. I was approved for 36 weeks but it stopped at 23 weeks for no reason. I am working 15 hours a week and should still get the checks. I have called, emailed and written every week. The voice mail says they will get back to me within two days but that has never happened. Covid has been the cause of my work being down. It is hard on me but I feel even worse for these young families with small children to support. My kids are grown but i still have to support myself. Now today I tested positive for Covid and cannot even work the fifteen hours for a few weeks. I will try the State Rep but it does not sound encouraging. If I get any answers i will share with you. Best of luck everyone.

Torinzo Burns

I’m here in Louisiana and been filing for UI since the last week of November and I have not received any payment. In progress is all I see every Sunday. It really hurts that these state like Louisiana do everything in their will to make u stop. They put hurdles in place to make sure you don’t succeed. It’s really sad to see us hurting and calling them is a joke you stay on the phone for a hour then if u get to speak with someone they do everything in their will to make u hang up. It’s bad .