Heath Alva
Posted August 19, 2020

States divided in accepting the $400 boost to unemployment

Thirty states are leaning to reject Trump's $400 boost to unemployment. Find out what your state is doing and when the payments could start.
Heath Alva
States divided in accepting the $400 boost to unemployment

Close to 30 states have said that they're not sure if they will be accepting President Donald Trump's grant offer that increases federal unemployment benefits by $300 to $400. These payments would temporarily fill in for the expired $600 provided by the CARES Act that was passed by Congress in March. Two states (Pennsylvania and South Dakota) have outright rejected the offer, saying it is a "convoluted" plan. Mississippi was reported to have rejected the offer, but later stated that they would not turn down federal aid at this time.

So why wouldn't all states just agree to pay the additional unemployment benefit?

The main reason most of the states are opting out of the additional payments is that they can't afford the extra financial cost (states would need to pay $100 out of the additional $400). States also claim there are too many bureaucratic hoops from the President's executive order on August 8, 2020.

Many of the 30 states governors that are undecided about whether to accept the federal funds have expressed hope that Congress and the White House will come to another agreement that will make this grant offer null.

States that accept the federal grant

Currently, 18 states have said that they will accept the federal grant option. Out of those 18 states, New Mexico was the first state to apply for the aid last week. New Mexico was also the fist state to be announced as a recipient by FEMA that received the aid. The state is now trying to reprogram their benefit distribution system to make sure that they can get the money into the hands of their citizens. New Mexico is joined by Arizona, Iowa and Louisiana as other states that were first to request theses emergency funds.

List of states that have applied for the FEMA funds to allocate to unemployment. For some states that means $300 in additional unemployment, and some are adding another $100 in state aid for a total of $400 in benefits per week.

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Utah
  • West Virginia

When will people begin receiving the payments?

The earliest that the extra unemployment benefits would be available for most citizens is August 29th. The reason for the longer time table is that most state's benefits system will need to be either adjusted to be able to accept the funds and pay them out or states will need to build a new system just handle these extra benefits. The one state that will see these extra benefits start sooner is Arizona.

Would you rather go back to work or wait for more stimulus/unemployment benefits to be approved?

Heath Alva

Comments

Eric Eichh

Go back to work

Cecil H Wysong Jr

The truth is at least in Kansas it is impossible to get your unemployment if you have a problem with the computer as they never answer the phone ir emails. They never had trouble collecting the taxes, without the state you cant get the federal help! It is a shame. I have waited hours on several days only to be told by a recording all lines are full. Thats since Mid March.

kim seaton

Florida did apply on Wednesday or Thursday

Barbara Brown

Yes, of course, I think all Americans would like to return to work. But under the circumstances, some of the jobs that are out there are not paying enough for people to keep their homes, cars and the list goes on..... So unemployment is the better option right now for so many. With so much going on with this COVID-19 mess and yet, so little to get the needed help for fellow Americans to stay afloat. Until the people voted into office come to a medium for the better of our country and the people, we will continue to have the numbers rise for unemployment until the economy can be restored. I do understand that some are trying to do the best they can with limited options to work with.

So I leave with you my prayer for today: "Father, I am making the decision today to be a grateful person! You have richly blessed me and I am going to count these blessings every day. When I make a daily list, it will be in honor of you, in JESUS ' name. Amen."

Janet Baumes

Fla Gov. Said he would apply but Fema said they have yet to recieve the application.

John Griffis

Wait

Linda Jentzsch

I would rather go back to work.

Chet Stewart

Oklahoma still not paying yet

Adoum issahak Djibrine

🤝

Donna Driggers

I lost my job in April. I was sent home on the 15th and couldn’t return until I could monitor mine and my son’s temperature. They said I could return on the 17th. I worked a few hours and then I was told they had to terminate me. I got strep throat 3 weeks later and was prescribed penicillin. I found out that I’m allergic to penicillin and I was broke out with welts all over my body and my scalp for 10 weeks. I was denied unemployment after 6 weeks after I was terminated. The reasons my work put for my termination was not the virus. In fact, the reasons that they gave would send everyone home and out of work. I lost my apartment and my car. I would go to work if I had a way to get to one.