Ashley Wilson
Posted April 8, 2020

How to keep your unemployment payments coming

Are you a first time filer for unemployment? Here's what you should do to keep your benefits!
Ashley Wilson
How to keep your unemployment payments coming

So my unemployment application got accepted…what now?

If you were approved to receive unemployment benefits, that great! You’ll now begin receiving payments which should help you make ends meet during this very uncertain time in our economy.

If it’s your first time claiming unemployment benefits, you should know that once your application is approved, there are still plenty of things you need to do so you can continue to collect unemployment benefits. If you don’t do these things, your benefits could end before you’re ready!

What do I have to do to keep my benefits?

After your initial unemployment benefits claim is approved, you must complete certain job seeking tasks in order to remain eligible for benefits. Your completion of these tasks notifies your state’s unemployment office that you’re still keeping up with your job search and actively trying to transition out of unemployment. Many states will track your efforts by having you report on your job seeking habits and successes on a regular basis.

To remain eligible for benefits, most states require you to:

• File claims on a weekly or biweekly basis. This lets your local unemployment office know that you’re still in need of unemployment benefits and will update them on your progress in finding new employment.
  • Be unemployed, or working significantly reduced hours, through no fault of your own. If you start earning money again (in any way), you will have to report those earnings to your unemployment office. Depending on the amount earned, you may still be eligible for prorated benefits, meaning the amount you earned will be subtracted from your initial benefit amount.
  • Accept any reasonable job offer that aligns with your previous training, experience and work schedule. Note that you can still decline a job offer and keep your benefits, but you should be ready to provide a valid reason why you declined that offer when you report it in your claim. Not providing this information reliably can lead to you losing your benefits.
  • Register with your state’s employment agency in order to help you find work. Some states will have you participate in training programs for job seeking and career building skills while unemployed. Participating in these programs can be crucial to ensuring that you continue to receive benefits, so make sure you stay aware of any of these requirements and participate where you are able.

How do I know what my state’s specific requirements are?

Every state has slightly different requirements, so make sure you check out your state’s specific guidance by checking our state unemployment resource center where you can be directed to your state’s specific unemployment page, with information that best suits your needs.

I’m unclear on where to find new opportunities right now...help?

Job searching is never easy, but especially now it’s a strange and difficult time to be looking for work. It’s likely that many of the jobs you’d normally go for aren’t hiring right now, but there are still options for you if you’d like to get earning again! Check out Jobcase’s job search to see new opportunities and explore more of our articles for the latest in hiring news!

Do you have more questions? Comment below! We're here to help.

Ashley Wilson

Comments

contessa king

I have been getting my Unemployment check than it stop. It said under investigation but still put in my request until otherwise. It’s been two months now. What do i do. I’ve called and sent emails to them. Haven’t heard back from them.

barbara chatmon

I guess we are all in this together with this their no money but you pay into this from the previous employers

Kimberly Davis

It’s sad how they treating us

Tracy Roberson

I have the same problem

Joseph Victorino

Imovedbut I got my phone number back and that's all I received..

melissa tucker

I tried to do a new claim since today was end of claim. It ask if I worked from April 2019-june 2020. I worked from April 2019- April 13, 2020. I was fired. Been on unemployment since. I did something wrong & need help.

Alisa Graham

Yes my stepdad lost his battle due to covid-19, about 2weejs ago I've been my mom's primary provider she also ended up with it by the grace of GOD she defeated it I worked a job one day and was off the next 3. When I filled my weekly certification I made a mistake and put leave of absence well I called myself changing it to family obligation, I've turned in documents from my mother's doct and my employer stating I was taking of the schedule to provide health for my mother to get her health appetite, cleaning, everything that I most definitely don't mind doing and proud of it all but for the last month I've been having a issue on my fill I'm in desperate need of assistance desperately like before this month is out thank you all and sorry for the long conversation it made me feel better to get some of it off my chest stay blessed

2 Likes
Braheem Davis

I've been waiting since feb28 for my first unemployment claim how much longer do you think I've got to wait

Holly Monroe

I’ve been waiting on a determination since June 2020, I don’t see how they expected someone to go that long without an income.

Larry Geralds

I was recieving benefits then in Jan it just stopped and I could not get it to take my benefits claim and I was unable to get into my account and now I finally got back in it has approved me all over again but I keep claiming like it says and I go back to see what is up and it still says the same request date and it’s been two weeks since that date Now I have no way of contacting anyone and don’t even have food to eat or gas to go anywhere. I have not gotten any stimulus $either from all three nothing. I have moved in with my mom now and I’m dead broke Why is my government helping ppl but turning the blind eye on my issues.