Unemployment Benefits: Overview

Unemployment Benefits: Overview

April 8, 2020

Here are the basics about Unemployment Insurance:

1. Unemployment Insurance is a shared state and federal program that provides cash benefits to the unemployed.

2. Typically, it's for eligible workers who have become unemployed due to circumstances that were not their own fault.

3. Each state has their own program, but they all fall under guidelines set by the federal government.

4. Each state determines who is eligible and the cap on the maximum benefit you can receive.

5. Unemployment insurance benefits are based on a percentage of your earnings over the course of a 52-week period.

6. Benefits must be reported on your income tax return for both federal and some state income taxes.

7. If you prefer, you can choose to spread out your taxes by having them taken out of your benefit payments.

For more information specific to YOUR state, visit our state unemployment section!

Also, be sure to check out these helpful articles:

23 Likes

Comments

Viviana Gonzalez

My last job was in march please i'm depending to myself and need pay bills i need HELP.!!! I NEED A JOB OR SOMETHING HELP

Javier Barrios

I lost my job on March 18 because of Covid pandemia. I applied for PUA and was accepted. I received (and activated) the Gov2Go Debit Card and uploaded the App in my cell BUT I have not received any payment after 14 weeks submitting info. I am just about to be homeless, no relatives to move with and bills are piling up. I called the Unemployment Office but the automated system and after navigating several options, it ends up telling me to "wait in line for a representative" and after just a minute it cuts off. Really? Who does that! Anyone here has any experience to share about this? Any suggestion? Thank you.

Angel Lopez

Hello

david hitchcock

Iam trusting the lord for a breakthru in work circumstances as a registered level 4 tourist guide and due to the covid19 issue tourism quiet at moment and also stand in agreement with my fellow brothers and sisters in their circumstances , any driving job would be appreciated and i have more than 20years driving experience in different sectors , we will overcome in Jesus name ....

Linda Alize Wooldridge

I'm in need of finding housing assistance because where im staying now is to difficult to live

Zole Zole

I know some people come into Anderson Mill post things on every source of baby mama drama or baby cases or have had a baby case and there go on here and say stuff for like your signal in or like you're trying to say something they're not doctors either or not doctors or anything like that you don't fake it to make it get what I'm saying I've noticed they do that and then they haven't going to work force and do s*** to tell you wonder how in the hell does that happen which we are Jack's Jack's restaurant not Jacks Road Jax restaurant it will never injured people on jobs or try to mislead people and your favorite Elations to this one or that one and someone signing something in Morgan County it results in death and personal injuries on jobs or so on and when it comes down to it I want to help Pearl Harbor happen Okay it took one to know one I need to get right for the unjust things and cause more death upon people

Tanya Watson

How long does it take to get your benifits my friend applied in April and still has not recieved anything yet. They told them that the case is pending because they are trying to find out how much it is that they will get.

Britney Way

I'm in desperate need for my benefits ! It's already been over a month and still haven't received anything and I need to pay bills and feed myself etc ! Please help me someone in this office

Trae Replogle

I was approved for my benefits and I received one payment and then I haven’t been able to get into the system what gives?

James Glasgow