Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking an energetic, politically interested summer government relations i...
Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking an energetic, politically interested summer government relations intern to handle a variety of duties in its Capitol Hill office. The government relations internship provides an opportunity for a political science or communications-focused student to get firsthand experience, working alongside lobbyists who are promoting cutting-edge life sciences research and technologies, for a company that is helping the country combat COVID-19. The government relations intern will contribute to U.S. and global lobbying projects and assist with the company’s political action committee (PAC).
This position offers a unique opportunity to work as part of a growing government relations effort that has been transformed by the company’s leadership in every aspect of the global COVID-19 response. The intern will be based in Thermo Fisher’s Capitol Hill office and work daily with the DC-based team.
_The paid position starts in May and is 40 hours per week, lasting into August. The government relations office expects to hire one intern for the summer._
- Contribute to a variety of lobbying, policy and political tasks in support of a global government relations team that’s spread around the world.
- Contribute to projects that advance Thermo Fisher’s leadership position in pandemic response; diagnostics; biomedical research; precision medicine; pharmaceutical manufacturing; and other science policy topics.
- Work with the U.S. federal government relations team to support advocacy initiatives, including attending meetings with House and Senate offices, trade associations and government agencies.
- Draft correspondence, talking points and background materials for use by the government relations team and executives with government officials and agencies.
- Coordinate details for government leaders’ or other VIPs’ visits to our sites.
- Attend congressional briefings, hearings, trade association meetings, and similar events and provide concise written and verbal feedback to the government relations team.
- Support government relations efforts involving our corporate social responsibility and communications teams on special projects that grow Thermo Fisher’s reputation and demonstrate our role in scientific discovery and our impact on our communities.
- Complete and present a major capstone project, in support of the government relations team, by the end of the internship.
- Accept candid feedback and look for areas of self-improvement.
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the intern’s experience level and abilities.
**SKILLS AND ABILITIES**
- Politically interested and bipartisan-minded.
- High energy and willing to engage any situation head-on.
- Candid and ready to pressure test different strategies and ideas.
- Ability to work as a member of a cross-functional team.
- Strong willingness to learn, be mentored and improve.
- Detail-oriented and ability to conduct rapid analysis of new issues and topics.
- Desire to contribute and improve lobbying efforts that enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
- Aptitude for clear and concise written and verbal communications.
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to a degree in political science, politics or a related communications discipline.