I thought my fellow Jobcasers would be encouraged reading this story:
A few weeks ago, I received an email as I was found through an online search to see if I would be interested in a newly created position. I did a quick check of the organization, was impressed and replied back.
In turn, I received a reply, had a phone screen, was asked to go in for a first interview, a second interview and then a third interview. I met with 8 people total. A few days later was offered the job (and accepted ;-).
Here are a some ideas that might help you in your search:
- Seeing I was found through an online search, be sure your resume and profile are on job sites so YOU can be found. Super important to look at any email that comes your way.
- Research the organization and the people within the organization. Have plenty of information to share about their business and how you can help them achieve their goals.
- Prepare yourself for a Behavioral Interview (Google it if you are not familiar). This is important! Not easy but it really gets you thinking about yourself and your work.
- Put together work samples to show at your interviews. This is a visual representation that helps interviewers see what you can do.
- Share what you have done in your last or current role and demonstrate how you could do the same for them.
- Ask for the job! I recently read that companies (CEOs, in particular) want you to ask what it is going to take for you to get the job. When they tell you (and they will) be sure to tell them you can do it and want the job. It is just like marketing and sales so market and sell yourself! Definitely end that interview by asking for the job!
- Be authentic, polite, respectful, kind, genuine, sincere, warm, friendly (even nervous is okay and you can admit it to them - we are human, after all) at the interview (and once on the job). Lesson here that helped me and might help you: There are plenty of candidates with amazing work however personality can make all the difference and get you the job. Be someone others want to work with - it is about fit many times.
Hope this helps. You can do it - now go get ‘em Jobcasers!